Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Community


Apparently, there is a distinction between being homosexual and being gay. Homosexual, perhaps more clinically, is predominantly or exclusively, sexually and emotionally, a preference for members of one’s own gender. Gay, on the other hand, is more than simply homosexual, and implies membership in a community of similarly oriented people.

Which begs the question: Can you be homosexual without being gay? Perhaps I am either not understanding this or not sensitive enough to the issues. These are, after all, the ravings of a newbie.

I have no problem with community; I like community. I established my home in the Colorado Mountains to enjoy mountains and skiing, and stayed all these years to enjoy the natural and human community. I participate in community at many levels.

So in my process, I am consciously and unconsciously seeking like-minded individuals—gay community, although I’m not exactly sure what that is or where to find it. I am a member of two communities: that of which I have so long been a part, and something new and untested. Since the latter may not even exist in my geography, the two are difficult to integrate. Furthermore, it takes years to establish community, and a long time to become part of one.

If I am unable to find “brick-and-mortar” gay community, I will call myself gay but with the caveat that really, I’m just homosexual. Does that sound right? Naw, I’m gay.

In the greater scheme of my process, this perceived distinction probably matters not one whit. Still, if exploration poses such questions, I would be remiss not to worry the answers. That’s what process is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment